Dental Bonding in Palm Desert
An Economical Option for Enhancing the Look of Your Teeth
Dental Bonding is a procedure that uses a tooth-colored resin to make minor cosmetic changes and structural repairs to your teeth. Under certain circumstances it can provide a suitable alternative to more lengthy and costly cosmetic procedures.
Dr. Izu and Dr. Bergmann are skilled cosmetic dentists and are very experienced in the use of dental bonding. They have an eye for aesthetics and pay meticulous attention to detail to give you beautiful, natural-looking results.
How Dental Bonding works
The surface of your tooth will first be mildly roughened. It is then coated with a dental bonding agent that helps the dental bonding resin adhere to the tooth.
The putty-like, tooth-colored resin is colored to the desired shade and applied to your tooth’s surface. Our doctors will sculpt the resin material into the desired shape. An ultraviolet light is used to harden the material, which is then further trimmed and shaped. Our doctors will then be polish the hardened bonding to match the sheen of the rest of your tooth.
What Can Dental Bonding Be Used For?
Dental bonding is an economical option that can be used:
- To improve the appearance of discolored teeth
- To repair chipped or cracked teeth
- To fill in grooves or other worn areas on your teeth
- To make your teeth look longer
- To change the shape of your teeth
- To close spaces between your teeth
- To repair decayed teeth (dental bonding resin is used to fill cavities)
- As a cosmetic replacement of amalgam fillings
- To protect a portion of a tooth root that has been exposed and worn due to brushing or receding gums
In certain cases, our doctors can use dental bonding as an economical alternative to other cosmetic treatments such as porcelain veneers. Teeth that are completely resculpted and recolored with dental bonding material are known as “chairside veneers.” Dental bonding is not as stain-resistant and chip-resistant as veneers but may be useful as a quick fix.
Advantages of Dental Bonding
Dental bonding has certain advantages that make it a good option for minor or temporary changes:
- Little advance preparation is needed for dental bonding. Anesthesia is often not necessary unless the bonding is being used to fill a cavity.
- Dental bonding is fast.
- Dental bonding is great for an immediate fix when there is very little time available, or as a temporary enhancement until a more comprehensive solution, such as veneers, can be put into place.
Our doctors will recommend porcelain veneers whenever possible for cosmetic resurfacing of teeth, as bonding deteriorates and does not last as long as veneers. Additionally, bonding will lose part of its shape, volume and finish over time. It is also less stain- and chip-resistant than porcelain.
Because of these limitations, dental bonding is best suited for small cosmetic or temporary cosmetic fixes.
Complimentary Cosmetic Consultation
Come see us for a Complimentary Cosmetic Consultation to find out if dental bonding would be a good option for you. We will listen to your cosmetic goals and answer all your questions. Your consultation will include:
- Visual oral exam
- Limited X-rays as needed
- Consultation with the doctor
- Discuss your smile goals
- 3D sculpting (the doctor will place easily removable, white dental material on your teeth to show you what your smile could look like)
- Find out about your treatment options
- Get all your questions answered
To make an appointment, call 760‑349‑7100 or click here to request an appointment online.